5 Things To Know on Nov. 22: Football and Turkey Trots
A great way to start the day with a quick look at the events and happenings in town.
Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Thanksgiving Day; Thursday, Nov. 22.
1. Perfect: Some perfect weather is in store for Thanksgiving Day 2012, with the forecast calling for sunny skies, light winds and temperatures close to 50 degrees.
2. Football: The traditional football matchups continue on Thursday, with the 60th anniversary of the Danvers High School-Gloucester High School matchup. The 5-5 Falcons host the 3-7 Fishermen at Deering field. St. John’s Prep (8-1) travels to Westwood to take on Thanksgiving Day rival Xaverian (4-6) at 10:30 a.m. The winner will be the Catholic Conference champion.
3. Explosion: There will be a lot of good food and fun around tables all over Danvers on Thanksgiving Day. But for some, there’s will be a little extra thanks – it is the sixth anniversary, to the day, of the CAI plant explosion in Danversport in 2006.
4. Closed: Thanksgiving Day is one of the few days each year that most stores and businesses are closed. If there is somewhere that you need to go, use our Directory pages and call ahead. Some restaurants are serving Thanksgiving dinner, some are open on Thanksgiving night to watch the Patriots game and a handful of gas station and convenience stores are also open in Danvers.
5. Turkey Trots: Thanksgiving Day has become a very popular day for road races, and the North Shore is no exception. There’s the Wild Turkey 5 Mile Run in Salem, the 5K Turkey Trot at Ipswich River Park in North Reading and the Maudslay Turkey Trot 5K at Maudslay State Park in Newburyport. And on Friday, the one big race in the region in Gabe’s Run at Patton Park in Hamilton, in memory of star runner Gabe Pacione.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.