5 Things To Know on Oct. 29: Salem Five Photo Contest Ends
A great way to start the day with a quick look at the events and happenings in town.
Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Monday, Oct. 29.
1. Hurricane: Clearly the big news on Monday is the arrival of Hurricane Sandy. Stay tuned to Danvers Patch as we keep you updated throughout the storm.
2. Closed: Many government offices are closed on Monday, in addition to the schools. A state of emergency was declared and Gov. Deval Patrick is encouraging everyone to stay home and off the road if possible.
3. Photos: Monday is the deadline to vote on the winners in the Salem Five "We Love it Hear" photo contest on its Facebook page. One of the finalists is Lisa Pelonzi of Danvers with photos of both Wingaersheek Beach and Plum Island.
4. Wrestling: The Masconomet youth wrestling program has a fall registration event and open house scheduled for Monday evening at the youth wrestling room at Strike One, 199 Newbury St. (Route 1 north) from 6-8 p.m. Another open house is scheduled for Nov. 5. Check back to Patch in the event it gets cancelled or postponed.
5. Malloween: The Liberty Tree Mall has its annual “Malloween” event planned for Monday night from 5-7 p.m. with trick-or-treating and a kids costume contest, among other activities. It is free. You may want to call ahead or check back to Patch to find out if it may be cancelled or postponed because of the storm.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.