Danvers Partners With Covanta To Maintain, Operate Transfer Station
The Town of Danvers is partnering with Covanta to operate the Transfer Station and Scale House located on East Coast Road.
Danvers is now partnered with Covanta to operate the Transfer Station and Scale House located on East Coast Road, saving the town over $100,000 in annual operating costs.
According to the Department of Public Works, Covanta will be maintaining the day to day operations of the Transfer Station, while DPW will oversee special collections.
David Lane, director of public works, said the town has a long term contract with Covanta regarding the transfer station and the disposal of the town’s refuse. "In our contract, we had provisions to change the staffing of the scale house over to Covanta," he said. "This change allows the town to save over $120,000 in annual operating costs and was a key item as we worked to balance the FY 2012 budget."
The Transfer Station accepts household trash from Danvers residents as it has in the past – demolition materials are not accepted.
The following is courtesy of DPW:
- Household trash is $0.04 per pound (lb) with a $10 minimum charge.
- Bulky items are accepted at $0.04/lb plus a per item fee for special items including white goods (washers, dryers, water heaters, refrigerators, etc.), eWaste (TVs, CRT monitors, computers, etc.), tires and propane tanks.
- White goods and eWaste may also be put out curbside with Town stickers.
- Other bulky items including furniture, carpet, mattress/box spring, etc. are accepted at $0.04 lb/$10 minimum – no additional per item fee. These items may also be put out curbside with Town stickers.
- Miscellaneous metals are accepted at $0.04/lb.
- Mercury products are accepted free of charge.
- American Flags are accepted free of charge.
- Yard waste (brush/leaves/grass clippings) disposal
- All vehicles entering the site must drive over the scale for safety reasons.
- Residents must obtain a sticker to dispose of any yard waste (previously only for brush), and yard waste is only accepted on Fridays and any of the previously determined Saturdays when the facility is open.
- Brush must be separated from leaves/grass clippings.
- Cost of the yard waste stickers is $15, and if purchased by the end of this year, they will be valid for all of CY 2012.
- Stickers for yard waste disposal are sold at the DPW Hobart Street Garage and at the Burroughs Street Business Office.
- Recycling bins are available for purchase at the DPW Hobart Street Garage.
- Rain barrels and compost bins, when available, can also be purchased at the DPW Hobart Street Garage.