A fire in a plastic bucket inside an empty Department of Public Works garage on Monday night was quickly extinguished before it spread.
The Danvers Fire Department was called to the garage at 95 Hobart St. when the fire alarm went off at 5:35 p.m.
Three fire trucks arrived and firefighters noticed light smoke in the building could smell something burning. They quickly found a small fire burning in a plastic bucket on the floor in a garage.
“It was quickly put out,” said Captain Bob Pyburn, who was the commander at the fire. “The bucket burned and melted but nothing around it burned.”
The garage is used for vehicle repair and maintenance. The garage was mostly empty except for a winter sander on a stand, Pyburn said.
In addition to smoke detectors tied in to the fire alarm, the building has sprinklers. The fire had not grown large enough to activate the sprinklers, Pyburn said.
“We were notified pretty quickly,” Pyburn said.
Nobody was injured.
“There was nobody in the building at the time,” Pyburn said.
An investigation is ongoing into exactly what was burning in the bucket and how the fire started.
No mutual aid assistance was needed at the fire or to cover the town.