Five Things to Know on March 21: Local Heroes to be Honored
A great way to start the day with a quick look at the events and happenings in town.
Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily source for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Thursday, March 21.
1. Cooler: The temperature is actually forecasted to be a bit cooler on Thursday than it was on Wednesday, with temperatures not getting out of the 30s. The skies will be cloudy for most of the day but the winds will have subsided, blowing to only 7 miles per hour.
2. Honors: The American Red Cross will honor several 2013 heroes at its 11th Annual Community Heroes Breakfast at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore Hotel on Thursday from 7:30-9 a.m. Among the honorees will be Jeanne Hennessey, formerly of Lorraine Roy Designer Collections and now at Bella Sera Bridal, who will be honored as a community hero.
3. State House: A group called Youth of Massachusetts Organizing for a Reformed Economy plan an event at the State House on Thursday afternoon where they plan to meet with several legislators and the governor to push for “real progressive investment in the future of the Commonwealth.” The group includes some students from Danvers as part of about 150 students from urban and suburban communities in the area.
4. Unemployment: We’ll find out on Thursday the unemployment rate, labor force data and jobs estimates for Massachusetts in February. The announcement will be made by the state Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development.
5. Budget: The Danvers Board of Selectmen continues it review of the fiscal 2014 budget on Thursday evening, taking a look at the schools, fire and police department budgets with a final vote expected on the budget. The Selectmen meet at 7 p.m. at Town Hall.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.