Disinfectant Spray Hospitalizes Four Workers
Danvers Firefighters were sent to evaluate the scene at New England Rehabilitation Hospital.
Four staff members were transported to the hospital, possibly due to the overuse of a disinfectant spray, Monday night at New England Rehabilitation Hospital.
According to Fire Captain Frank Sacco, the incident was believed to have happened at about 4 p.m., but the situation was not reported to the Danvers Fire Department until about 7:30 p.m.
Sacco said an employee who was cleaning reportedly used more disinfectant spray than usual, and the particles from the spray were blown toward the nurses station, due to a window being open in the room the employee was cleaning.
The nurses were complaining of burning in their eyes and throats, Sacco said.
The four staff members were transported to the hospital, but no patients were harmed.
The disinfectant spray was the same one that is always used, Sacco said. He also noted that the cleaning employee did not have any bad reaction to it.
Sacco said the department tested the building's carbon monoxide levels, but did not find anything suspicious.