Hot Spots For Cold Treats Around the North Shore
This week's North Shore Nibbles column brings you places to go for cold treats during the summer heat!
With the summer solstice occurring Wednesday, the temperature is going to continue to rise.
Why not cool off with some ice cream?
Whether it’s a reprieve from the heat you’re in search of or just to boost your mood, check some of these ice cream parlours out.
- Address: 46 Maple Street Danvers, MA 01923-2812
- Phone: 978-762-4663
- Website: www.goodies-icecream.com or www.facebook.com/GoodiesIceCream
- Goodies serves ice cream, but it also hopes to give patrons the experience of an old-fashioned ice cream parlor.
- Goodies works to provide the community what it needs. When middle school students began asking for different treats they listened. Now, they carry Chocolate Tacos and ice cream pops traditionally bought from ice cream trucks.
- If you're a coach of a sports team Goodies will give your 15 percent off of your purchase when you bring the team in. And if you call ahead they will subtract another 5 percent.
- Address: 210 Conant Street Danvers, MA 01923
- phone: 978.774.0519
- Website: www.cherryfarmcreamery.com
- This family run ice cream shop, for 35 years, serves up frozen yogurt, no sugar added products as well as your regular hard ice cream. Together they add up to include 45-plus different flavors of ice cream. Three or four flavors rotate each week and make up their weekly specials.
- Their specials this week include chocolate marshmallow and special batch of ice cream called Engagement featuring Tiffany blue mint ice cream with white chocolate chips.
- Currently you can choose the black and gold sundae in honor of the Bruins’ victory. This special sundae includes chocolate chip ice cream with butter scotch and hot fugue, with gold colored whipped cream and black and gold sprinkles.
- To celebrate the Danvers Scooper Bowl, they will also make some new batches of ice cream.
Scoops N More
- Address: 672 Lowell St # 2 Peabody, MA 01960-3600
- Phone: 978-535-9916
- Website: www.scoopsnmore.com
- Scoops N More makes their own ice cream in the store. One of their newer flavors is Smore and More which is a vanilla ice cream mixed with graham crackers, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and marshmallows. A popular flavor is coconut cream ice cream. it’s Coconut flavored with coconut flakes in it. If you don’t like coconut, try the mocha crunch which mixes heath bar, chocolate chips and caramel. If you’re chocolate obsessed try the double trouble dark chocolate ice cream. It comes with brownie pieces, chocolate chips and chocolate syrup ripples.
- Scoops N More is unique because it invites customers to submit their fantasy ice cream flavors. If your fantasy flavor is picked you get your picture on the Flavor of Fame Board in the shop and a free cup of your fantasy pick. The flavor will then be sold.
- For now, Scoop N More is trying to come up with a flavor celebrating the Bruins and the return of the Stanley Cup.
- Address: 117 Lynnfield Street Peabody, MA, MA 01960
- Phone: 978-531-0069
- Website: www.artiesdiner.com
- Artie’s Place serves breakfast and lunch, but they are also known for their extensive variety of soft serve and hard ice cream. If you’re in the mood for soft serve you can try the traditional chocolate or vanilla flavors or pick from a multitude of others inlcuding from pistachio, grape, black cherry, orange and even cotton candy.
- Address: 117 Boston St Salem, MA 01970
- Phone: (978) 744-5413
- Known for its soft serve ice cream, the Daily Witch has been part of Salem for more than 50 years. It also has about 40 flavors of hard ice cream to choose from. Or you can try a frap, made with real ice cream.
Ben & Jerry's
- Address: 60 Washington Street Salem, MA 01970-3515
- Phone: 978-744-7500
- Website: www.benjerry.com/salem
- Try the spicy chocolate flavor. Comes with ginger, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon and almonds.
- Try the Jimmy Fallon late night snack, a chocolate covered potato chip in vanilla ice cram with caramel swirl, with sea salt blended in with the cameral.
- Chocolate Therapy is a chocolate based ice cream with chocolate pudding and chocolate cookie pieces.
- Both of these two new flavors are fair trade.
- Also new is the coconut seven-layer bar and that comes with coconut ice cream with chunks of coconut, walnut, fudge flakes, graham crackers and butter scotch.
Jaho Coffee & Tea
- Address: 197 Derby St Salem, MA 01970
- Phone: 978-744-4300
- Website: www.jaho.com
- After July 4th, Jaho will serve watermelon and pink grape fruit gelato.
- They will also have the biscotti flavor for the summer. All of the gelato is made in-house.
Rita’s Water Ice
- Address: 188 Essex st Salem, MA 01970-3700
- Phone: 978-741-7482
- Website: www.ritasice.com or www.facebook.com/ritasicesalem
- Rita's ice specializes in Italian Ice. Their newest flavor is honey due and will be released on July 18th. All of the ice is made fresh in the store each day.