Residents Voice Concern About Transfer Station Restrictions
The Danvers Department of Public Works' partnership with Covanta has some residents concerned about new restrictions.
Since the Department of Public Work's partnership with Covanta to maintain and operate the Transfer Station on East Coast Road, residents have voiced concern about the restrictions set for the public's usage.
At the Sept. 27 Board of Selectmen meeting, Danvers resident Ken Hersey appealed to the selectmen about the restrictions that were detailed in a recent newsletter sent to residents from the Department of Public Works.
Hersey's main concern was that yard waste will only be accepted on Fridays and any of the previously determined Saturdays when the facility is open. Only being able to use the Transfer Station on Friday, Hursey described as "difficult, if not impossible."
Hersey said that while he often utilizes the facility, for the residents who use the facility sparingly, the $15 charge can seem excessive. "You're turning over an asset to private enterprise so they can make a profit," he said. "It doesn't seem fair to Danvers tax payers."
Selectmen Keith Lucy and Bill Clark, as well as Chairman Dan Bennett, said they too have received calls from concerned residents.
Director of Public Works, David Lane, will be speaking at the next Board of Selectmen meeting on October 4.
For a complete detail of the partnership with Covanta and the changes to the transfer station, check out Danvers Partners With Covanta To Maintain, Operate Transfer Station.