This Week in Danvers History
What happened this week in Danvers in1979? Find out!
Have you ever wondered what was happened this week in Danvers, many years ago? Our new column, This Week in History, is devoted to sharing snippets of news that were making the headlines in Danvers.
This Week in History...1979
- Members of the Polish community in Danvers were preparing to take a trip to Boston for Pope John Paul II's visit.
- The Peabody Institute Library began to discuss plans of an expansion and renovation that would be in the price range of $1.5-$1.9 million.
- There was controversy surrounding the issue of whether or not Danvers should increase its investment in the Seabrook, NH Nuclear Power Plant by purchasing 16.9 megawatts of power.
- Plans began to turn the Tapley School into an elderly housing project.
- The gasoline shortage was beginning to affect school transportation, causing a reduction in bus routes and bus stops.