What's Happening At the Topsfield Fair This Year?
Your source for the highlights from the 2011 Topsfield Fair schedule
For those who are awaiting the Topsfield Fair kick off on September 30, plan ahead for what day you'll be attending based on the events that match your interests.
Here are the highlights from the 2011 Schedule:
Friday (September 30)
- Phil Vassar – One of country music’s most prolific and versatile stars, Phil Vassar will present a free show (with fair admission) at 7:00pm in the Grandstand.
- Giant Pumpkin Contest – Due to the success of holding this event on opening night for the first time last year, the Giant Pumpkin Contest will be held on Friday night again this year. Will there be a record breaker? Find out when the weigh-off begins at 2:00pm. A winner is expected to be announced by 9:00pm.
- Maximum Velocity Professional Stunt Team – This new attraction featuring the hottest riders and skaters in their sport will perform daredevil maneuvers for your amazement. The Stunt Team will be here throughout the entire Fair.
Saturday (October 1)
- Grand Parade – Starts at Topsfield Common at 9:00am and ends at the fairgrounds with opening ceremonies and flag raising at 10:00am.
- Junior King & Queen Pageant – An opportunity for children aged 5-8 to compete to represent the Topsfield Fair. Contestants are judged on general appearance, conduct, and personality. Entry deadline: September 30.
- Joey & Rory - Known in Nashville for writing hit songs for Blake Shelton, Easton Corbin, Kenny Chesney, Reba, and others, this husband and wife now perform the hits. The 2010 ACM Top New Vocal Duo will perform a free show (with fair admission) at 7:00pm.
- Mission Hill – Catch this alternative rock band for free on Trianon Stage at 8:00pm.
- Fireworks – The fair finishes the day with a bang with a spectacular fireworks show.
Sunday (October 2)
- Texaco Country Showdown – Catch tomorrow’s singing sensations today as contestants vie for the national title and $100,000 in prize money. Starts at 4:00pm in the Grandstand.
- Fair Food – Available for the entire run of the fair, but why not spend the day tasting the corn dogs, fried dough, caramel apples, cotton candy, and so much more!
Monday (October 3)
- Senior Citizen Day – Seniors, 60 years and older, can purchase tickets for $7.00 at the ticket booths.
- Kid Fiddlers – You’ll be spellbound when "mom" and 5 children, ages 9-20, take the stage for two free shows in the Grandstand – 2:00pm and 7:00pm.
Tuesday (October 4)
- Military Day – To honor our military, all active members of the military are invited to come to the Fair to be admitted free with their families. Military personnel need only to show their identification at the admission gate to be admitted for free.
- North Sea Gas - One of Scotland’s most popular folk bands with great vocals and tremendous three part harmonies is back and will perform two free shows in the Grandstand – 2:00pm and 7:00pm.
Wednesday (October 5)
- Beulah’s Birthday Party – At 10:30 a.m., come to the Grandstand and celebrate with Beulah the elephant as we present her with a very special cake.
- Ayla Brown – You’ve seen her sing on American Idol, as a correspondent for the CBS Early Show, or maybe even opening for Darius Rucker on the 4th of July in Nashville. Now come see her for free in the Grandstand (with fair admission) at 7:00pm.
- The Rawhide Rodeo - If you're looking for some real live cowboys and cowgirls, head down to the Arena at 7:30pm. The Rodeo is back on Thursday the 6th at 7:30pm.
Thursday (October 6)
- Sean Kingston – One of pop music’s fastest rising stars, Kingston will perform a free show (with fair admission) in the Grandstand at 7:00pm.
- Friesian Classic & Open Horse Show – The show in the Arena from 10:00am-5:00pm features many open classes including a Friesian Fantasy Costume Class, an Open Costume Class and a Friesian Period Costume Class. The Show returns on Friday, October 7th from 8:00am to 2:00pm.
Friday (October 7)
- On-Grounds Scavenger Hunt – From 4:00 to 6:00pm be on the hunt to win concert tickets, food coupons, gift certificates, and more.
- Randy Houser – Get your Boots On as Anything Goes when country superstar Randy Houser takes to the Grandstand stage for a free show (with fair admission) at 7:00pm.
Saturday (October 8)
- Allstar Weekend with Burnham – If your kids listen to RadioDisney, they know Allstar Weekend. See them and opening act Burnham in the Arena at 11:00am. Concert tickets are $15 in addition to fair admission.
- Bengal Tiger Encounter – Come see the incredible tigers at the first of their three days at the fair. The tigers will be on display in the Grandstand all day and there will be three inspirational and educational shows each day.
- Mike Posner – See the Cooler Than Me singer as he hits the Arena stage for an amazing concert at 6:00pm. Concert tickets are $34 in addition to fair admission.
Sunday (October 9)
- Draft Horse Show - See all breeds of majestic horses in the Arena all day. The show continues on Monday from 11:00am-2:00pm.
- Mrs. Essex County Pageant – The 41st annual pageant will be held in Coolidge Hall at 2:00pm. Contestants will demonstrate their cooking abilities by entering a food dish for judging, have private interviews, and present themselves at the Pageant. Winner will become the Official Hostess for the 2012 Topsfield Fair throughout the year. Entry forms are due October 6th by noon and are available online or by calling (978) 887-5000.
Monday (October 10)
- Closing Day – The fun continues all day long with plenty of time to see fair favorites like the Robinson’s Racing Pigs and the Great American Duck Race. Plus, hold a baby chick, meet the cow of the day, make your own honeycomb candle, and much, much more!
- Figure 8 Race – Figure 8 Racing is done on a track shaped like an 8. The cars cross paths at the center of the 8, which is known as the "crossover." Because of this layout, crashes are inevitable! Catch the action at 3:30pm in the Arena.
- Demolition Derby – The Fair wraps-up with a collection of crashing cars and the drivers brave enough to drive them. Held in the Arena at 7:00pm.
Discount tickets are available at www.topsfieldfair.org through September 27, 2011. General Admission tickets can be purchased for only $8.50, which are good any day during the Fair’s 11-day run.