Worker at Gas Station Hospitalized After Struck by Customer's Car
A male worker at the Costco Wholesale Club suffered a hip and leg injury after he was struck by a motorist changing lanes at the gas station. Police said the driver did not see the man, who was waiting outside for a fuel truck to arrive.
This is an excerpt from reports in the Danvers police log from Thursday through Monday.
- A 60-year-old Peabody man was placed into protective custody following a report of disorderly conduct at The Sports Authority at 6:10 p.m. Police said an intoxicated man inside the store had been giving security guards a “hard time” and causing a disturbance.
- Maria Muse, 45, of 81 Swan St., Everett, was arrested at Walmart for shoplifting at 12:48 p.m. Police said she left the store after taking three DVDs without paying for them and was arrested outside.
- Kayla Brice, 17, of 13 Daine Rd., Peabody, and Alicen Beaupre, 17, of 15 Wheeler St., Peabody, were both arrested at Kohl’s for shoplifting at 7:23 p.m. Police said the two teens went into the dressing room and attempted to leave the store wearing various items underneath their street clothes. They were both charged with larceny over $250.
- State police responded to a report of a truck in a snow bank on Route 95 South near the Centre Street overpass at 6:54 a.m. Personal injuries were initially reported, but no further details were available.
- Police responded to a report of an attempted break-in at Kane’s Flower World at 7:15 a.m. Police said a suspect gained entry by breaking a window and attempted to steal a cash register, but was scared off by a guard dog. The case is still under investigation.
- Police responded to a two-car accident at the intersection of Route 114 and Palmer Avenue at 12:14 p.m. Lyons Ambulance transported one driver to Lahey Clinic with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Malicious damage to a motor vehicle was reported at 5:38 p.m. at the Endicott Plaza off Endicott Street. No further details were yet available.
- Maura O’Day, 21, of 67 Appleton St., Salem, was arrested at Kohl’s for shoplifting at 6 p.m. Police said she was stuffing items into her purse and attempted to leave the store.
- An employee at Gibbs gas station reported the roof canopy was beginning to collapse at 8:05 p.m. Police and fire responded to the scene and a police detail was on-site overnight, upon order of the building inspector, until the site was fenced off. The collapse was due to snow on the roof.
- Stephen Schankweiler, 39, of 192 Bryant St., Athol, was arrested at the Comfort Inn, following a report of a domestic dispute at 10:07 p.m. between him and another guest – a female. He was charged with domestic assault and battery and intimidation of a witness. No injuries were reported.
- Milton Calderon, 33, of 114 Saint Andrew Rd., Boston, was arrested on Route 114 at the intersection of Watson Parkway at 3:28 a.m., following a motor vehicle stop. He was charged with a marked lanes violation and driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Police responded to a report of a single-car accident at Avalon Danvers after a car slid off the road and struck an electric box at 9:05 a.m. The female driver refused medical attention and the accident was due to icy road conditions.
- Bonnie LaRocque, 44, of 8 Greenwood Ave., Saugus, was arrested at Walmart at 12:44 p.m. for shoplifting. Police said she stole diet pills, earrings and some makeup and was also charged on a warrant for larceny over $250.
- A male employee at Costco Wholesale Club was transported to Beverly Hospital by ambulance after he was struck by a car outside the gas station at the club at 3:01 p.m. Police said the driver was changing lanes and didn’t see the man standing there – he was waiting for a fuel truck to arrive. He suffered injuries to his leg and hip. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigated the incident as a workplace accident.
- Police issued a court summons to a driver for operating a vehicle with a suspended license, following a motor vehicle stop on Poplar Street at 6:03 a.m.
- Police responded to a report of shoplifting at 4:12 p.m. at Walmart. No further details were available and the incident is under investigation.