Identity theft is a serious problem affecting more people every day. That’s why learning how to prevent it is so important. Knowing how to prevent identity theft makes your identity more secure. The more people who know how to prevent identity theft, the less inclined others may be to commit the crime.
As more and more people are becoming the victims of this crime, many ways have been introduced to prevent it. These include making the business premises secure by setting alarms and locks on all doors. Make sure that the security system is checked by some security company. Never leave your business records and other personal data unlocked. Make sure all the cabinets are locked and files are kept safely, especially during lunch/
Preventing identity theft starts with managing your personal information carefully and sensibly. We recommend a few simple precautions to keep your personal information safe:
Below find the 10 top ways you can prevent identity theft;
1. Safeguard your social security number
2. Request a copy of your credit report at least once a year
3. Buy a safe deposit box - keeping your personal information and financial records locked away is a smart decision.
4. Purchase a shredder - shred credit card statements, bank statements and any other financial documents. Destroy fully your statements before putting in the trash can.
5.Don't give out your personal details or account numbers over the phone.
6. Don't ignore missing bills - If you're missing bills, it is possible someone stole from your mailbox.
7. Safeguard yor PC- make sure you protect your PC with the latest updated anti-virus software. Online identity theft is becoming increasingly popular and easier due to personal details people post on social networks.
8. Change passwords often
9. Don't ignore letters concerning purchases you didn't make.
10. Notify authorities if you suspect you've been a victim of ID Theft