Invite a friend
Silent Auction of Paintings at Peabody Institute Library, Danvers
The Danvers Art Association is displaying an appealing selection of original paintings in the Peabody Institute Library. The art is available by bidding during the Silent Auction, which runs until June 30, 2012 at 4 PM. The highest bidder for a painting entered in the Bid Book, located at the first floor stairwell, wins the painting at the June 30 close. Proceeds from this Silent Auction benefit both the Library and Danvers Art Association.
For questions or additional information, contact Virginia Hill at HILLV997@aol.com or 978-777-3496.
More About Peabody Institute Library of Danvers
The public library (not to be confused with the Peabody Institute Library in Peabody or the Peabody Institute in Baltimore) was originally built in the Gothic style at its present location in 1869 with funds provided by local philanthropist George Peabody. However, the building was destroyed by fire in 1890.
The large Georgian Revival style structure was then built in 1892 for the sum of $34,218. The basement was remodeled in 1963 for use as a Children's Room and stacks and then in 1980, a new floor was added to replace the upstairs auditorium and 12,000 feet were added in the basement to create a new Children's Room and to house the new Archival Center.
The library maintains departments for adult services, archives, a children's room, information services and young adults. The George B. Gordon Meeting Room is available for reservation, which can be done online. Outside, the grounds contain Peabody Park to the rear of the library. You can also find the Peabody Institute on Facebook.