- Danvers High senior and football standout Alex Valles intends to head south to D.C. in the fall to play Division 1 ball for Georgetown University. The 17-year-old running back was named a Northeastern Conference All-Star after leading the Falcons to its first league title and playoff appearance in several years this past fall. He told ESPN Boston the main reason he committee to Georgetown is the academics. Mom Betsy Valles shared the news via Twitter on Sunday.
- In other high school sports news, the Falcons boys' basketball team suffered its first loss of the season to Salem Tuesday night, 41-38. The two-time Division 3 champs are now 8-1 for the season and 6-1 in the NEC. Their next game is at home Friday versus Revere.
- Meanwhile, the Danvers High girls improved to 6-3 overall and 4-3 in the NEC after defeating Salem Tuesday night, 43-28. The Lady Witches also donned pink "Danvers Strong" tee shirts for their warm-ups.
- Mark Whitmore of the North Shore Career Centers will be the guest speaker Friday morning for the North Shore Business Forum at the Danversport Yacht Club. Whitmore will be talking about career transitions after age 50.
- What better way to start the new year with some hot soup and exercise? Head down to All Saints Episcopal Church of the North Shore on Jan. 22, 2014 for a free night of dancing and homemade soups from 7-9:30 p.m. Classes continue each Wednesday from 7-8:15 p.m. for 15 weeks at $65 for the entire session. The program is sponsored by the Riverside Squares. For more information call 978-468-2004 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or check out the website.
Make sure to check our local events calendar and boards section for even more happenings around Danvers.