- Putnam Pantry has changed hands, but it's still in the family. Eric Emerson and his wife appeared before the Board of Selectmen Tuesday to transfer the common victualler's license held by his 80-year-old father Galo Emerson. The younger Emerson said they're planning to keep things the same for now, but there will be some changes in store for the future at the Route 1 ice cream and candy shop. The topic was nostalgic for selectmen. Bill Clark, noting the store's historical roots in town, recalled how his son's first job was helping Galo Emerson make the candy. Clark said he was there recently with a school group and not much had changed over the years -- "it seemed like a time warp," he said. Dave Mills recalled how, many years ago when things like gas and candy were dirt cheap, he used to buy more than 20 pounds of candy each year for about $1.80 a box, store it in his car trunk and distribute it to relatives over the holidays. "The sugar was marvelous," he said, drawing laughter from his colleagues.
- Are you in need of a stroller, high chair or some new toys for baby? The Family Support Early Intervention Parent Collaborative Fundraising Sale on Sunday is well stocked with all kinds of baby equipment. The early intervention program is run by Northeast Arc. The sale is at 6 Southside Rd., starting at 9:30 a.m.
- The date for the dedication and public celebration of the newly renovated Danvers High School is Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. - noon. It's a Saturday. There will be tours led by students and a reception inside the Atrium following the ceremony.
- Ocean State Job Lot is holding a special sale Oct. 20-23 for military veterans and their families. "Operation: Thank You!" allows veterans and their families 30 percent off purchases for the duration of the sale. Ocean State Job Lot is located at 139 Endicott St.
- Movie matinee Saturdays continue over at the library (2 p.m. in the Gordon Room). This month it's all about Arts & Humanities. Saturday's free film is "Girl With a Pearl Earring."
Make sure to check our local events calendar and boards section for even more happenings around Danvers.