According to the National Weather Service, the temperature may drop as low as -10 degrees with the wind chill and around -13 degrees on Friday.
- Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
- If you are using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least 3 feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
- If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
- Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.
- Don’t hook a generator up to the home’s wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator.
- And when shoveling out the car, free the exhaust pipe before turning it on. Carbon monoxide kills.