Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Friday, Aug. 10.
1. Muggy: The temperatures should not get out of the low 80s on Friday, but for many people that may not be any consolation since the humidity will be very high. And there’s a slightly greater chance than Thursday of an afternoon thunderstorm on Friday - any time after 11 a.m.
2. Tax Free: This weekend is a tax-free weekend here in Massachusetts. And Danvers, with its many stores, plazas and mall, should be busy with shoppers hoping to save on the 6.25 percent tax. Any item costing $2,500 or less qualifies as tax-free, including alcohol. Taxes will still be imposed for the purchase of vehicles, boats, meals, gas and tobacco at any price.
3. Business Leads: One of the benefits of being a member in the Danvers-based North Shore Chamber of Commerce is its regular Business Leads Group. And there’s another planned for Friday morning. The group meets in the boardroom at the Chamber’s offices on Cherry Hill Drive with the first 30 people to register and pay $30. The session offers referrals, leads and more.
4. Free Backpack: Starting on Friday, is running a special called “Back At It” where mall receipts totally $150 from purchases on Friday through Sunday will get you a free drawstring backpack. The with Mall Tots face painting, fashion show by and , Tae Kwon Do demonstrations by MJ O’Malley Tae Kwon Do and goodies bags packed with coupons, gadgets and giveaways to the first attendees.
5. Free Friday: Every Friday all through the summer, Highland Street Foundation sponsors free admission to several museums, zoos and other cultural institutions. Here on the North Shore, the and have both participated. This week, the New England Sports Museum in Boston is participating. The other sites are far to the west or south. Next week, it includes the Institute of Contemporary Art and .
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our Events Calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.