Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Friday, Jan. 8.
1. Clouds: The weather forecast on Friday calls for it to be a cloudy day with the temperature getting into the low 40s. There’s also a chance of showers in the late afternoon and evening.
2. Christmas trees: The town-wide Christmas tree pickup is on Saturday. Have your tree out along the road by 7 a.m. and the trees will be picked up all over town on the usual trash pickup routes.
3. Slavery Awareness Day: Jan. 11 is National Slavery And Human Trafficking Awareness Day in Massachusetts. Last year, Massachusetts passed a law that makes human trafficking a felony in the state and creates services for victims.
4. Gymnastics: The Danvers High School gymnastics team, which is a cooperative team with North Reading High School, is back in action on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. versus Winthrop High School. The team is 2-0 after a 138.6-108.15 win over Peabody High School on Monday.
5. Golden Globes: The red carpet will be rolled out on Sunday evening for the best in television and movies at the Golden Globe awards. It air starting at 8 p.m. on Sunday on NBC (channel 7).
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.