Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Tuesday, Jan. 15.
1. Thaw: The January thaw is over and temperatures return to more typical wintertime temperatures on Tuesday. The sky will eventually be sunny with a high temperature of about 40 degrees.
2. Clutter: Is clutter taking over your life? Need some tips to declutter? Get some help on Tuesday from the North Shore Elder Services. A 10-week series starts on Tuesday and is open to all ages. The group meets at 10 a.m. at 152 Sylvan St. and the fee is based on a sliding scale.
3. Casinos: Tuesday is the deadline for companies interested in building a resort casino in the state to submit a deposit. The chairman of the state Gaming Commission told the North Shore Chamber of Commerce last month that after Tuesday, we will know all the companies that have a shot at opening one of the three resort casinos that will be allowed in the state.
4. Gas: There’s several gas stations in Danvers selling gas for less than the state average of $3.43. It’s $3.37 per gallon for regular at Stop and Shop on Route 1 southbound and at A.L. Prime at Holten and Pine streets. High Street Service, Gulf Express on Route 114 and Phillips 66 at Maple and Hobart streets all have a gallon for $3.39.
5. Selectmen: The Danvers Board of Selectmen meet on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. at Danvers Town Hall. The board is scheduled to hear from a man whoplans to open a new bakery on Maple Street in Danvers Square and hear about safety concerns with the Danvers 5K weeknight runs.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.