Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Friday, Jan. 18.
1. Colder: While the sun is forecasted to return on Friday, it will be a whole lot colder. The high temperature is not expected to get above freezing and the wind will be gusting to 30 miles per hour out of the west.
2. Heroes: If you know a local hero, Friday is the final day to nominate that person for this year’s Community Heroes Awards. The Northeast Massachusetts chapter of the Red Cross will be presenting its hero awards in six categories during the annual Community Heroes Breakfast, which will be held March 21 from 7:30-9 a.m. at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore hotel in Danvers.
3. Business Forum: The North Shore Business Forum meets at Danversport Yacht Club first thing on Friday, with the theme “How to Advertise Locally.” It will include a presentation about on local advertising for the small business by Patch’s advertising manager and editor. It starts at 7:30 a.m. and costs $10.
4. Foreclosures: Friday is the final day to file a claim for a one-time payment as part of a $25 billion settlement reached between five major lenders and 49 states' attorneys general, including Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley, for unlawful foreclosures, including robo-signing of documents. If you lost your home to bank foreclosure anytime from 2008 to 2011, all of the paperwork must be submitted by Friday.
5. Stars: Are you a singer? The Beverly Rotary Club and North Shore Music Theatre are co-sponsoring a gala fundraiser to showcase local singing talent and benefit local scholarships and community aid, and auditions are coming up. The event is scheduled for March 1, but auditions are scheduled for Jan. 21 at North Shore Music Theatre from 6-9 p.m.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.