Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Monday, Jan. 21.
1. Colder: The first of a four day cold snap starts on Monday, with temperatures staying at or below freezing all day on Monday. The sky will be cloudy with the chance of snow beginning to move in during the evening.
2. Star: Do you want to be a North Shore Star? Monday is audition day at North Shore Music Theater for the competition, which is coming up in March. The auditions are on Monday night from 6-9 p.m. at the theater.
3. Snow: Remember the winter of 2010-11? Well, most of the big storms were actually contained to December and January. And on this day in 2011 was the last real big blizzard of the winter was moving in and school has been cancelled (it was not a holiday that year).
4. Breaking News: Sign up for the Danvers Patch free morning email newsletter. In addition to local headlines in your e-mail every morning, you can also get alerted to breaking news.
5. National Parks: Monday is a Free Entrance Day at all National Parks. It is the first of 9 fee-free days this year. While many National Parks are free year-round, Monday’s event includes no admission at the Wayside House at Minuteman National Park in Lexington and the Boott Cotton Mills Museum.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.