Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Monday, Nov. 5.
1. Autumn: Fall has definitely arrived, with temperatures hanging in the 40s on Monday and expected to fall into the 20s overnight. Monday will start out cloudy with an increasing chance of the sun poking through as the day goes by.
2. Ballots: The final chance to request an absentee ballot for Tuesday’s election is noon on Monday. Anyone who will be absent from town during polling hours on Tuesday or cannot make it to the polls because of a physical disability or religious belief can request an absentee ballot. Stop in before noon at either the Town Clerk’s office at Town Hall to get a ballot.
3. Wrestling: The Masconomet youth wrestling program has its second fall registration event and open house scheduled for Monday evening at the youth wrestling room at Strike One, 199 Newbury St. (Route 1 north) from 6-8 p.m. The first one, last Monday night, was scheduled while Hurricane Sandy was rolling in on us, so this week is probably a better time to stop by and answer questions and sign up.
4. Art Contest: The annual art contest run by the Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority originally had a deadline of Oct. 31 but because of Hurricane Sandy it was bumped back to Monday, Nov. 5. The contest is open to students in grades kindergarten through grade 5 and has the theme “"What do I want to be when I graduate from college?" The top prize will go to three first place winners – a $5,000 U.Fund College Investing Plan account. All entries must be postmarked by 5 p.m.
5. Zoning Board: The Danvers Zoning Board of Appeals meets at 7 p.m. on Monday in the Gordon Room (downstairs) at the library on Monday. Among the items on its agenda is a request from Herb Chambers, which is seeking a variance to allow six signs on the facade of its dealership at 107 Andover St. (Route 114).
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.