Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Monday, Oct. 1.
1. Calendars: A top sign that the year is almost over comes when seasonal calendar stores start opening up. On Monday, Calendar Club opens at Liberty Tree Mall, selling calendars, games, puzzles and gifts.
2. Photos: The deadline for the Essex National Heritage Area’s 2012 photo contest had been originally been Oct. 1, but it has now been bumped back to Nov. 1. Photographs need to be from Essex County and represent one of this year's three contest categories: "Images of the Essex National Heritage Area," "The Merrimack Valley" or "In Town/Downtown." Prizes will be awarded to 10-13 photographs. An entry form is attached to this story as a PDF.
3. ARC Walk: If you plan to register for the upcoming 16th Annual Northeast Arc “Run, Walk or Roll” on Saturday, Oct. 13 you may want to register on Monday. It starts and finishes at Plains Park, behind the Holten-Richmond Middle School with registration starting that day at 9:30 a.m. and the run/walk starting at 11:30 a.m. If you register by Oct. 1, you will guarantee yourself a T-shirt. The registration fee is $20.
4. Halloween: With the start of October on Monday comes the anticipation for Halloween at the end of the month. It also includes the introduction of the Halloween section here on Danvers Patch – one place where you can find all Halloween-related content.
5. Water Plant: The town’s Vernon C. Russell Water Treatment Plant is scheduled to be shut down on Monday as part of the $20 million improvement project. The plant will be shut down for up to 45 days and during that time Danvers will get its water from its wells and buy it from the Beverly-Salem water system. Level 6 water restrictions are also in place during that time, meaning no outdoor water use is allowed.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.