Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Wednesday, Oct. 24.
1. Sun: The skies should be sunny for most of the day on Wednesday, with the forecast calling for temperatures to top out in the 50s.
2. Food Day: Wednesday is Food Day, a day designed to celebrate “more healthy, affordable, sustainable food and a better food system.” The event is being coordinated by the state Department of Agricultural Resources and includes dozen of events statewide, including free samples of “Crazy Bobs” - kabobs with cheese, fruit and vegetables – at Shaw’s supermarkets.
3. DoubleTree: The Coco Key Hotel officially changes its name to DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore on Wednesday with a ribbon cutting event at 9 a.m. In addition to the name change, the hotel is in the midst of $16 million of renovations. The event will includes words by Robert Bradford, president of the Danvers-based North Shore Chamber of Commerce plus Town Manager Wayne Marquis and Middleton Town Administrator Ira Singer.
4. Energy Efficiency: One school in New England will win $50,000 in interior energy efficient products and installation this fall. The contest called “Project Green Lights Sweepstakes” is sponsored by NorthEast Electrical Distributors. Wednesday is the deadline to enter and the winner will be announced on Nov. 5. The contest is open to any public school in New England by filling out a short questionnaire and paragraph describing why their school deserves to win the interior energy efficiency products.
5. Mass Murder: A program on Wednesday night at the library takes a look at mass murderers in Massachusetts history. Historian Christopher Daley presents the program at 7 p.m. discussing the most infamous murder cases in state history, including the Boston Strangler, the "Merry Widow" and Lizzie Borden.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.