Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Friday, Oct. 5.
1. Sun: At some point on Friday, the sun is expected to come out. After some dreary days this week, the sun will be welcomed. There will be a foggy start to the day but temperatures will eventually make it into the mid-70s.
2. Hazardous Waste: The Danvers Department of Public Works is hosting its annual hazardous waste collection day on Saturday. It is runs from 8 a.m. to noon at the transfer station on East Coast Road off Route 1 South. The collection is open only to Danvers residents and happens just once a year. The event is only for residential uses and last year 300 residents dropped off materials, that includes fertilizers, pesticides, antifreeze, gasoline, drain cleaner and oil based paints, among other items. Car tires, car batteries, NiCad or Lithium batteries and fluorescent bulbs will not be accepted and can instead be dropped off at the transfer station during normal business hours.
3. Stop and Shop: The A+ School Rewards Program starts on Friday at the Stop and Shop grocery store chain, including the location at Danvers Plaza on Route 1. The program will donate up to $2.5 million to school this year. All you have to do is go to the Stop and Shop website and designate your chosen school, up to two schools. The program runs through March 28.
4. Salem Five Photo Contest: Friday is the final chance to enter Salem 5’s photo contest on its Facebook page. Salem Five, with a location on Endicott Street and High Street, is calling its contest “We Love It Here!” The top prize is a trip to “The Nantucket” hotel on Nantucket.
5. Yard Sales: Are you hosting a yard sale this weekend? Or maybe you are headed out to shop at some yard sales? Either way, we have what you are looking for here on Danvers Patch. Local yard sales are listed in our events calendar and you can quickly and easily add your yard sale directly to the list and get out the word.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.