Welcome to “5 Things,” your daily resource for community events, happenings in town and other little tidbits of information. Here are five things you need to know on Monday, Sept. 24.
1. Sun: The sky is forecasted to be full of sun on Monday with temperatures hanging in the 60s.
2. Cub Scouts: Monday night is the time to sign up for Cub Scouts for the coming year. The event runs from 6-8:30 p.m. at the library. There will be some current Scouts on hand to answer questions. Cub Scouts are for boys in first through fifth grade.
3. ARC: The 43rd annual Mike Frangos Commodore Invitational Golf Tournament happens on Monday at Myopia Hunt Club golf course in Hamilton. All proceeds from the tournament go toward the programs and services provided by Danvers-based Northeast Arc, including Early Intervention Services for more than 500 children, residences for 112 people, assistance to more than 2,000 individuals from Personal Care Attendants and life and vocational skills to more than 200 people.
4. Library Cards: This month Peabody Institute Library of Danvers has been running a campaign to introduce more people to the library and sign them up for a library card. Anyone who got a new library card was entered into a drawing for a Kindle Fire and the winner will be drawn on Monday. The drawing will be part of festivities at the library on Monday afternoon from 2-5 p.m. that will include demonstrations on how to download an ebooks and a “Read This” table with book recommendations. From 2-5 p.m. only, bring in a food donation for the Danvers Food Pantry the fine for an overdue book will be waived. There will also be light refreshments.
5. Zoning Board: The Zoning Board of Appeals meets at 7 p.m. on Monday at Town Hall. The board has several applications scheduled for a public hearing, including plans to tear down an existing garage and build a slightly larger one on Garden Street and remove a shed and build a two-car garage and breezeway on North Street.
Want to get Danvers Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our morning newsletter.
For more of today's happenings, head over to our events calendar.
To send us a photo or suggested item to be featured in the “5 Things” column, send it via e-mail to email@example.com.