Some highlights include:
- Free service will be offered on New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31 after 8 p.m.
- The Newburyport and Rockport line, which serves nearby Beverly Depot and Salem Depot, will operate on a "modified weekday" schedule with additional service planned on New Year's Eve.
- The final train from Boston back to the North Shore leaves North Station at 2 a.m.
- All subway lines will operate on a modified weekday schedule from 3 p.m. to 2 a.m. New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31, except the Silver line, which will be on a regular weekday schedule.
- The Newburyport/Rockport line will operate on a Sunday schedule on New Year's Day.
- All subway lines will operate on a Sunday schedule New Year’s Day, Jan. 1, 2013.