.

Plow Catches Fire, CO Detector Provides Early Warning During Blizzard

The driving ban kept major problems to a minimum during the blizzard on Friday and Saturday in Danvers.

A snowplow caught fire early Saturday morning and a carbon monoxide detector gave an early warning to one family that their furnace vent was blocked with snow during the blizzard in Danvers.

Besides that, the Blizzard of 2013 caused very few problems in Danvers. First responders said that the driving ban, which lasted for 24 hours under executive order of Gov. Deval Patrick, helped out, they said.

“We found pretty much everyone abiding by the ban,” said Danvers Police Lt. Dana Milne.

On Twitter, several tweets lauded the plowing of Danvers streets. Andrew Gallione noted that Danvers streets were clear and there was still snow on Beverly roads. Mary Beth Perry tweeted that Danvers roads were "perfection" and called them the best on the North Shore. Stephanie Kowalski tweeted that the roads is Danvers were better than other area towns. Jeff Avigian ranked the plowing of various local communities and put Danvers at No. 1.

Danvers received about two feet of snow. Measurements varried from 20-30 inches from various measurements from different sections of town. An official measurement from Topsfield was 24 inches and 25 inches in Salem. At 7 a.m. in neighboring Beverly - before the storm has ended - an official National Weather Service measurement had 18.5 inches.

While there were widespread power outages on the South Shore and other areas of the state, Hamid Jaffari, Director of Engineering and Operations for Danvers Electric, said that there were no power outages in Danvers.

A water main also broke along Route 114 in front of Giblees on Saturday. One of the westbound lanes was shutdown while repairs were made.

The plow fire happened at about 6 a.m. on Greenleaf Road. Nobody was hurt when a Ford F350 town plow caught fire.

“It destroyed the vehicle,” said Danvers Fire Lt. Bob Amerault. “(The driver) got out of the truck and was OK.”

On Wellesley Road, a furnace vent had been blocked and the carbon monoxide alarm was activated. The Fire Department was called and the problem was discovered. Nobody was sick or injured.

"It did its job,” Amerault said about the CO detector.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »