Man Shot By Police Was Suspect in Home Invasion Case, Had Prior Run-ins With Law
A 37-year-old Danvers man killed in an armed confrontation with police had prior run-ins with the law, including a Boston home invasion case, and was again in the process of being evicted from his apartment.
Police say they were responding to a report of an alleged assault at the Avalon apartment complex and that while investigating the incident, officers learned Scott Kehoe had warrants out for his arrest. A robbery had also just occurred, said police.
No more information has been released yet on what transpired that night, but a thorough review of the incident is underway by the Essex County District Attorney's Office.
The Salem News reports that the officers involved, who have not been identified, were placed on administrative leave until the investigation is complete per departmental policy.
As for the warrants, Kehoe was one of two suspects in a home invasion down in South Boston this past February. Authorities said two men forced their way into a woman's home and stole cash, prescription drugs and alcohol.
Kehoe skipped his court date in that case earlier this month, said authorities. He was originally arrested at his residence on Feb. 26 on a warrant that included charges of kidnapping and home invasion.
According to authorities, Kehoe had also skipped a separate court date a couple weeks ago on charges brought by Danvers police from when they arrested him at his home again on June 16 for disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and disturbing the peace.
The Salem News reports Kehoe, a former longtime Peabody resident, did have at least two run-ins with Peabody police several years ago for a domestic violence case and an assault case in which officers say they discovered him highly intoxicated.
The paper also reports Kehoe was in the midst of eviction proceedings begun by Avalon management, and not for the first time.