“This gives us an opportunity to share our offices, our work and our time with all residents – and they aren't coming in to pay a bill, pick up a license or pay a parking ticket. It’s all for an evening of information and family fun,” says Assistant Town Manager Diane Norris.
Residents can stop in at Town Hall, the police station, fire headquarters, the library, senior center or the electric division for an up-close look at the inner workings of town government and operations.
Salem Trolley will again provide transportation to each site. Parking at most locations, so anyone attending is encouraged to use either the municipal lot across from Town Hall or the rear lot at the senior center.
There will be all sorts of information and activities, along with food and popular live demonstrations at the police station and fire headquarters. You can also go for a ride in a bucket truck at Danvers Electric.
This year's fire safety program is sponsored in partnership with Papa Gino's for National Fire Prevention Month. The annual open house is free.
Here are some of the highlights planned for each location:
- Fire Station: Fire safety is the theme. You can walk through a “Smoke House” and enjoy some pizza. See the Jaws of Life in action!
- The Electric Division: Displays will focus on electrical safety, conservation and Smart Grid. Go for a ride in the bucket truck and decorate a cookie.
- The Senior Center: Come to the carnival for cotton candy, ring toss, and a photo booth. Get your flu shot (insurance card required and must be over age nine) and information on senior safety programs. You can snack on apple cider and cider donuts from Brooksby Farm.
- Town Hall: Town Hall’s Toomey Room will be the place to go for snacks and prizes. Danvers residents can register to enter a raffle for a Kindle -- just fill out a short survey to be eligible. To stay up to date on town happenings, “like” our Danvers DPW page on Facebook or “follow” us on Twitter.
- Library: Kids can make their own spin art and have a Hoodsie.
- Police Station: They’re all about dogs -- hot dogs to eat and a K-9 demonstration at 5:30 p.m.