The town is seeking help from the community to identify the persons involved with the asbestos dumping in a dumpster earlier this week.
Board of Health Director Peter Mirandi said he first received notice of the situation on Monday morning, after a custodian noticed construction debris sticking out the dumpster behind the school.
The dumpster was removed to the town's and was taken in for sampling by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).
A new dumpster was brought to the elementary school, but when the custodian returned Tuesday morning, he found more debris had been dumped.
Mirandi told the Salem News the debris appears to have possibly come from a house in the of ranch-style homes that date back to the 1950s and 1960s. Thorpe Elementary, on Avon Road, is located in the Woodvale neighborhood.
On Wednesday morning DEP confirmed the debris contained asbestos, which is known to cause lung cancer.
In order for the asbestos to be properly removed, Mirandi said the town will have to spend roughly $2,900. In the meantime, the new dumpster at Thorpe has been chain welded so it can be properly locked.
"The Strike Force is going to be coming and any leads that they can get would be valuable," Mirandi said. He is encouraging residents to call with any information.
"If we ever catch the person who does this in my town, we will prosecute to the full extent of the law," Mirandi told the Salem News.
Who To Contact
- Peter Mirandi can be reached at 978-777-0001, ext. 3025.
- can be reached at 978-774-1213.
- The DEP's Environmental Strike Force can be reached at 888-846-5283, and the agency's Northeast Regional Office in Wilmington can be reached at 978-694-3200. Calls to the Strike Force will be handled confidentially.